Frequently Asked Questions
The competition is open to all companies operating in Summit County and Chamber membership is not required.
Can a business nominate themselves for a Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Award?
Yes. Any company is welcome to nominate themselves, regardless of its size, industry, funding or geographic location within the awards region – which is Summit County.
I am an employee/customer of a great business – can I nominate them for an Award?
Yes. We actively encourage members of our community to support the businesses they love by nominating them for a Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Award. Employees can nominate their employer and customers are welcome to nominate any business they frequent.
Plus, as a thank you to any individual taking the time to nominate a business of which they are not a principal owner/shareholder, the Chamber will automatically enter their name for a chance to win one of a pool of prizes provided by our generous sponsors and members.
If a company’s headquarters is outside Summit County, but the majority of its business is conducted within the region, are they eligible to apply?
Yes. A company with multiple locations is eligible to enter the Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards as long as it has business operations in the region. This includes companies whose headquarters might be located outside the region, but which have offices in the region.
When are nominations accepted?
Nominations for the 2018 Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards will be accepted beginning January 9, 2019 through 11:59 pm, February 8, 2019.
As a courtesy for those organizations who would like to begin crafting their submission in advance of the nomination period, we have provided a .pdf of the Nomination Form, HERE.
Can a business be nominated in more than one category?
Yes, companies can be self-nominated or nominated by someone else in as many categories of the Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards as they feel are applicable. Every category is judged by different criteria and every category garners a different pool of entries, some attracting many more entries than others. The best way to increase your chances at winning is to enter multiple categories.
No. A company cannot receive the same award in two consecutive years. But we invite you to submit in other categories that might be appropriate.
How can I determine which size category a business falls within for the Business of the Year award?
Business size is determined by the number of full-time employees (FTE) in Summit County. (Please note that part-time employees equal ½ of a full-time employee, rounded down to the nearest whole number. Therefore, if you had 4 FTE and 5 part-time employees, working in Summit County, your company would have 6 FTEs for this purpose.)
Yes. Please describe specific accomplishments relevant to the award category under consideration during the 2018 calendar year, relating them to past performance or industry norms. Make sure to mention obstacles overcome, innovations or discoveries made, and results achieved.
Is there a word limit for my answers?
Yes. Each answer is restricted to a maximum of 250 words. Unfortunately, our system is VERY sensitive and will not accept forms with 251+ words in any field. In addition, it will NOT send an error message alerting you to this fact. Therefore it is incumbent on the submitter to adhere strictly to 250 words or less and verify that they receive a submission confirmation upon completion.
It is highly suggested that you print a copy of the Nomination Form and use it to write your answers in a separate program taking careful note of the word count. Once your answers are perfected, these can then be cut and paste into the online entry form. This will minimize chances for data loss as the form cannot be saved and returned to at a later date.
How can I submit my nomination for the Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards?
The process is simple. Please fill out the Nomination Form completing all of Sections 1 and 2, and as many categories within Section 3 as are applicable to the business being nominated. Provide clear examples of the accomplishments achieved. Hyperlinks to news coverage, press releases or other supporting materials is encouraged.
Nominations will only be accepted via the online Nomination Form. If you need assistance submitting this form online, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
How is Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards different from other awards programs?
Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards is the only business award program judged solely by a panel of independent members of the community. It is not part of the “Best of the Summit” series sponsored by the Summit Daily.
Are entry forms kept confidential?
Yes. Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards organizers distribute award entries only to the authorized judges selected to review entries. The entries and the underlying information about the nominees will not be released to anyone else without prior approval from the entrant. Furthermore, no entries, including the winning entries, will be posted in whole or in part on the Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards site without prior approval by the entrant.
The company I am nominating is small. What if much bigger companies submit in the same category?
All entries are judged on their own merit, recognizing achievements and successes while considering the companies’ size, resources and competitive industry landscape. The judges don’t play favorites and honor the best work in the region, regardless of size and budget.
What can I do to make my nomination stand out?
Press stories, press releases, video clips, work samples and more can make a difference. If available, please include links in your submission (3-5 links is typical); these could be to your online news room, the best recent article, or a past award. In consideration for the judges’ time, please limit your hyperlinks to 10 links at most.
When are the winners announced?
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony to be held April 4, 2019.
Do I have to attend to be named a winner?
Winners, nominees, and the general public are encouraged to attend.
What are the benefits of winning a Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Award?
Winning business awards has many benefits: it reinforces corporate direction; recognizes the talent and hard work of your entire departments and leading employees; makes it easier to attract new talent to the company; gains a sales advantage; and provides additional public relations opportunities and value.
Additionally, Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Award winners receive the following benefits:
- Membership: All winners will receive free membership to the Summit Chamber for one year.
- Recognition: The Awards Ceremony highlights the winners to the Summit County business community at large.
- Bragging Rights: Winners will receive a 2018 Business Excellence Award logo with usage rights across all media outlets including the company website and printed materials. This can be invaluable for positioning your company as an industry leader to new recruits and potential customers.
- Press: All finalists are featured in a Summit Daily advertisement for the event and winners are featured in a locally distributed press release. Winners will be prominently shown in all recap video presentations and photo compilations of the event. Additionally, winners will be featured in any follow up media interviews regarding the event.
- Website placement: All winners are featured on the winners’ pages on the Summit Chamber Website under Business Excellence Awards. Gold and silver winners also receive logo placement and links to their sites.
- Plaque or Trophy: Gold winners receive complimentary customized award trophies. Silver and bronze winners have commemorative awards.
- News page: Winners’ news items – i.e. press releases, blog posts, award page entries, and articles – are featured on the winners’ news pages, including links back to the company sites.
- Quotes: Winners’ press release quotations, tweets or other public statements may also be featured throughout the Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards website.
- NEW for the 2018 Kaiser Permanente Business Excellence Awards: The Summit Chamber of Commerce is working with member organizations and sponsors to offer prize packages that include products and/or services that will support their business. Stay tuned as we finalize the details of this exciting new development!