The State of Colorado’s “5 Star” Certified Business Variance Program may allow businesses to expand customer capacity to the next less restrictive Dial level by implementing safety measures beyond what is already required by public health orders and guidelines to help slow the spread of COVID-19. This program is designed for responsible businesses that are following public health guidance, and going above and beyond to prioritize the health and safety of their staff and customers. For example, when a county case (incidence), testing (percent positivity), and hospital metrics are in the Red Dial zone, a business may operate at the capacity limits allowed under the Orange Dial zone.
Currently, the program is open to Restaurants (including bars that operate like a restaurant), Personal Recreation (gyms/fitness), Personal Services (salons, barbershops, etc), and Indoor Events based businesses.
A county’s current status is based on whichever of the 3 metrics is highest. For example, if a county case incidence is in the Red, percent positivity is in the Orange, and hospitalization numbers are in the Green, the county is considered to be in the Red level. In order to move from one level to the next less restrictive level, the county metrics must meet or exceed that next level for at least 7 days. The county may also move to a more restrictive level if metrics worsen. See table below for current status.
This opportunity has been made possible for Summit County because of multiple consecutive weeks of consistently downward-trending COVID-19 case numbers, as well as ongoing advocacy by Summit County and all local municipalities.
Application and Certification Timeline
- Eligible businesses are encouraged to apply at any time. Inspections will be scheduled by the relevant jurisdiction.
- Businesses may operate under the 5 Star guidelines as soon as they pass inspection and receive certification.
- View more information on the State of Colorado 5 Star Program Parameters.
Application, Inspection and Certification Process
Download the applicable application:
- Summit County 5 Star Restaurant Certification application (pdf)
- Summit County 5 Star Personal Recreation Certification application (pdf)
- Summit County 5 Star Personal Services Certification application (pdf)
- Summit county 5 Star Indoor Events Certification application (pdf)
Complete the application.
Email your completed application to the jurisdiction in which your business is located. Your Town or the County will contact you to schedule an inspection.
- Town of Breckenridge
- Town of Frisco Email the application to Town of Frisco, and the Town of Frisco will call businesses to schedule an inspection. For more info, call 970-668-5547.
- Town of Dillon 970-468-6078 option 2
- Town of Silverthorne 970-262-7305
- Unincorporated Summit County (Copper, Keystone, A-Basin, Summit Cove, Wildernest and all other areas not within a town boundary). Email your completed application.
Upon successful inspection, applicants will receive a 5 Star Certificate and begin operating under the 5 Star parameters immediately. The 5 Star Certificate must be posted in a highly visible location at or near the entrance to the establishment.